How’s the security in your home? If you can’t answer this question confidently, it shows that your home security is lacking. If you plan to travel, leaving an empty home with no or poor security measures in place can signal thieves to enter.
You don’t want thieves to score big with your possessions while you are away traveling. Instead, you want your home security arrangements to deter them, and that’s only possible when you have invested in a robust home security system. Keeping your personal belongings and high-value items safe is important. After all, you don’t want to return home to find your valuables gone.
Here are a few tips on how you can make your home unappealing to thieves:
- Ensure all the doors and windows of your house are locked.
- Keep all your valuables in a lockbox or a safe.
- Change passcodes on garage doors and electronic locks. Make this a habit when you return from your vacation.
- Keep your garage locked and windows covered to prevent anyone from peaking inside your home.
- Install deadbolt locks, motion sensor lights, and upgrade your sliding glass or patio door locks.
- Do not announce on any social media platform that you are leaving for vacation. If you want to post pictures, you can even do it after you return.
- You need to install timers that turn off the lights in your home automatically. This is a good tactic, as it makes thieves think that someone is home.
- You need to tell your home security company that you are going on vacation and for how long.
- Make sure the security alarm is working.
- Monitor your home remotely via your smartphone.
- Arrange for someone to mow your lawn while you are away. This is another good tactic to fool thieves.
- Stop your mail and newspaper service until you return home.
- Ask your neighbor to keep an eye on your home and on any lurkers they spot.
- Do not leave any valuables in your car and ensure its doors are locked.
- Do not leave your spare keys under your outdoor hiding spot. Take them with you. Most thieves know the most popular spots to hide spare keys, such as under mats and rocks and in potted plants.
Don’t forget to call us! We can install a security alarm system in your home. With us monitoring your home, you can enjoy your vacation, knowing your home is being watched by attentive and watchful eyes around the clock. Contact us at 407-603-3881 today!